Posted: September 2, 2020
Present: Holthaus, Goltz, Langreck, Knutson, Lienau.
Also Present: Don Dilaura, Mike Meyer, Karl Schroeder, Brian Zweibohmer
Following the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, Mayor Beckman called the meeting to order at 5:00 pm.
Clark Goltz recapped the events the Ossian Crown Club held around town this summer with great attendance at all of them. Goltz has applied for two grants to help with the expenses incurred with the events for next summer. Goltz thanked council member Knutson for his help at the Pavilion.
Visioning Committee members Terry Linderbaum and Pam Buddenberg addressed the council regarding ideas the committee would like to have taken under consideration for the Business District on Main Street coinciding with the Highway 52 project. Also discussed were bathrooms at Carey’s Park and a splash pad. It was decided that the size of the splash pad needed to be determined in order to establish a location along with a cost estimate.
The Mayor and Council reviewed the submitted August police report.
Mayor Beckman’s report included: meetings attended and updates to Vinton Tuckpointing project, UTV, ATV and golf carts, legal matters, lift station beeping, and security cameras at the City Shop.
Mayor Beckman also commended and thanked those who worked to cleanup Ossian and the Ossian Crown Club for their work on summer events around town.
Lienau made a motion approving the following consent items: August 3, 2020 council minutes, clerk’s reports and the monthly bills, seconded by Knutson, carried.
Lienau made a motion approving Ordinance #82, an ordinance amending the provisions pertaining to stop requirements at the Jessie/Brooks Street intersection, seconded by Goltz. Whereupon the Mayor put the question on the motion and the following named Council Members voted:
Ayes: Knutson, Lienau, Langreck, Goltz, Holthaus.
Whereupon the Mayor declared said motion carried and the ordinance adopted.
Langreck made a motion to waive the second and third readings of Ordinance #82, and Ordinance #82 be passed and approved, second by Lienau. Whereupon the Mayor put the question on the motion and the following named Council Members voted:
Ayes: Knutson, Lienau, Langreck, Goltz, Holthaus
Whereupon the Mayor declared said motion carried with Ordinance #82 becoming effective upon publication.
Council had discussion on Ash trees around town. Lienau made a motion to treat the trees as submitted by Tree Doctor Services for 2020, second by Knutson, carried.
Knutson made a motion approving Resolution #639, a resolution approving the 2020 Winneshiek County Comprehensive Solid Waste Management Plan; seconded by Langreck. Whereupon the Mayor put the question on the motion and the following named Council Members voted:
Ayes: Knutson, Lienau, Langreck, Goltz, Holthaus.
Whereupon the Mayor declared said motion carried and the resolution adopted.
Discussion on wiring for a generator at the Kuhn lift was tabled to gather more information.
Upon discussion, Holthaus made a motion to made to purchase a PR4200 power washer from John Deere, second by Langreck, carried.
Discussion on the lagoon fence was tabled to gather further information.
Holthaus made a motion directing the city clerk to apply for the ICAP Grant to purchase street signs and stands as presented to the Council, second by Goltz, carried with Holthaus, Goltz, Knutson and Langreck voting yes, and Lienau voting no.
Street repairs were discussed. Langreck made a motion to accept the bid from Meyer Concrete for street repairs at North Street and the manhole on Mary Street, second by Holthaus.
Discussion regarding the employee handbook was tabled to the next meeting.
Holthaus made a motion to approve the alcoholic beverages permit renewal for Bambinos pending dram shop and Two Trees Pizza, second by Goltz, carried with Lienau abstaining.
Upon discussion, Goltz made a motion to purchase an all-in-one printer for the clerk’s office from Marco using their Managed Account Program, second by Lienau, carried.
Council reviewed and discussed a property complaint.
Council had a general discussion regarding use of the community center, Annual Financial Report, Military Trail Estates and backfilling at subdivision, cemetery mowing and tires for the city vehicle.
Knutson made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Langreck, carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:21 p.m.
August 2020 Expenses
- Aflac- employee insurance 335.92
- Alliant Energy-elect utilities 5856.35
- Badger Meter-service fees 64.50
- Baker & Taylor Co-library books 711.60
- Becker Hardware-maint supplies/repair 29.13
- Black Hills Energy-gas utilities 160.14
- Brian Zweibohmer-phone & mtg reimb 50.00
- Bruening Rock Products-rock 73.34
- Canadian Pacific Railway Co. – Lydia RRxing 26990.59
- Card Services-operating supplies 12.94
- Casey’s-vehicle operations 432.21
- City Laundering-services 114.65
- Continental Research Corp – supplies 439.93
- Croell-cement 21028.25
- Dillon Law P.C. – legal 1417.50
- DNR-permit fee 210.00
- Don Dilaura-phone & reimb 50.00
- Family Support Payment Center 1423.00
- Farmer’s Union Coop-supplies 65.00
- Fayette Publishing-publication fee 102.42
- Fidelity Bank & Trust 4859.89
- Hawkins-supplies 611.00
- Iowa One Call-locate service 9.00
- Iowa Rural Water Assoc-conference fee 160.00
- IPERS-August Ipers 2426.99
- John Deere Financial-repair 161.54
- Keystone-lab fees 604.00
- Kyle L Meyer-mowing 725.00
- Landmark Turf Services -weed control 637.20
- Larry Gebel-bus services 590.00
- Luana Savings Bank- HSA pymt 450.00
- Luana Savings Bank – service fees 10.00
- Malcom Enterprises-garbage serv. 5016.17
- Midwest Tabe-libr supplies 546.81
- Ossian Bee-subscription 45.99
- Ossian Post Office-postage 201.65
- OverDrive-libr ebook subscription 390.10
- Postville Vet Clinic-shipping chgs 55.00
- Riley’s Inc – libr supplies 192.50
- Simmering-Cory 635.00
- State Library of IA – libr books 62.00
- Traveling Lantern-library play 150.00
- USA Bluebook – supplies 453.79
- Utility Equipment Co – supplies 1346.30
- Wellmark-heath insurance 3393.17
- August 2020 payroll 14247.98
August 2020 Expenses by Fund
- General 26684.34
- Road Use 2430.42
- Employee Benefits 150.00
- Capital Project 48018.84
- Water 10861.68
- Sewer 9403.27
August 2020 Receipts
- General 6542.18
- Road Use Tax 8941.46
- Employee Benefits 39.14
- Emergency 7.05
- Local Option Sales Tax 9814.17
- Debt Service 41.77
- Water 10385.91
- Sewer 13952.55