Posted: October 1, 2018
Present: Lienau, Beckman, Langreck, Holthaus, Knutson.
Don Dilaura, Brian Zweibohmer, and Zak Kriener from the Ossian Bee were present during the meeting.
Following the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, Mayor Green called the meeting to order at 5:00 pm.
Officer Ward gave the police report noting: domestic issues, monitoring speeding and routine matters as what has been occurring during the past month.
Mayor Green commented on: the success of the city wide clean-up day, the newsletter mailed in September was well received, the Mayor’s coalition and other minor concerns.
Beckman made a motion approving the following consent items: September 5, 2018 council minutes, clerk’s reports and the monthly bills, seconded by Knutson, carried.
Beckman made a motion approving a contract between the City of Ossian and Edward Mikota allowing Mikota to extend city water services outside the corporate limits to property owned by him, seconded by Lienau, carried.
Holthaus made a motion approving Corrpor Waterworks Contract-Plan C for the inspection of the cathodic protection corrosion control equipment in the water tower and, for an additional cost, replace the interior light bulbs, preferably with LED lights, seconded by Beckman, carried.
Mayor Green explained he attended a meeting where representatives from communities having been through natural disasters were in attendance. Those communities were without power for an extended period. They stressed how important having stand-by generators were. The Council discussed what an important asset a stand-by generator would be if it were able to operate both the community center and shop/fire station buildings during extended power outages.
Opportunities for grant and other funding sources will be sought that may help finance such a project.
The Council had a general discussion that included: yard waste dump-site, fall leaf burning, tree and bushes maintenance, options concerning a nuisance property and lift station maintenance.
Holthaus made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Lienau, carried. Meeting adjourned at 5:55 pm.
September 2018 Expenses
- Acentek-phone/internet charges 491.20
- Aflac-employee deduction 254.40
- AKS-equip repair 48.00
- Alliant Energy-elect utilities 7361.21
- Badger Meter-service fee 64.05
- Baker & Taylor-library books 200.23
- Banyon Data Systems-tech support 795.00
- Becker Hardware-repair & supplies 192.67
- Black Hills Energy-gas utilities 163.90
- Bohr Construction-concrete services 880.00
- Book Look-library books 262.84
- Brian Zweibohmer-phone reimb 50.00
- Bushman Insurance-refund 170.00
- Casey’s-vehicle operations 579.87
- City Laundering-services&supplies 107.27
- City of Decorah-maint.services 325.00
- Data Technologies-training 95.00
- Demco-library supplies 141.45
- Dennis Hageman Const-bldg repair 3958.00
- Diamond Vogel Paint-paint supplies 1499.60
- Don Dilaura-phone reimb 50.00
- Family Support Pymt Ctr-pymt service 1423.00
- Farmers Union Coop-supplies 253.38
- Fayette Publishing-publication fee 267.02
- Hawkins-operating supplies 10.00
- Iowa Water Environ Assoc-training 60.00
- IPERS-Sept.Ipers 2268.82
- Joyce Bakewell-supp reimb 49.50
- Junior Library Guild-books 445.20
- Keystone Lab-lab fees 165.00
- Kyle Meyer-mowing services 560.00
- L&B Electric-equip maint 1056.02
- Luana Savings Bank-h.s.a.pymt 450.00
- Malcom Enterprises-garbage service 5043.73
- MARC-maint supplies 94.40
- Midwest Tajpe-library videos 60.60
- Natalie Knutson-services 30.00
- Omnisite-wireless service 86.96
- Ossian Lumber Co-bldg supplies 3842.70
- Ossian Post Office-postage 147.00
- Postville Vet Clinic-ups charges 108.00
- Riley’s-library supplies 369.95
- Rite Price Office-supplies 30.00
- Schilling Supp. Co-supplies 118.63
- IRS-Sept. Federal deposit 3420.58
- Storey Kenworthy-office supplies 310.00
- Torkelson Motors-equip service 73.11
- Treasurer State of Iowa-state taxes 2632.00
- Wellmark-insurance 3268.46
- Utility Equip Co-maint supplies 515.22
- September 2018 payroll 7784.48
September 2018 Expenses by Fund
- General 29174.81
- Road Use 5242.52
- Employee Benefits 1118.17
- Water 6639.77
- Sewer 10458.18
September 2018 Receipts
- General 45975.82
- Road Use Tax 12259.38
- Employee Benefits 4816.52
- Emergency 1160.95
- Local Option Sales Tax 8290.92
- Debt Service 12302.19
- Water 12315.36
- Sewer 13234.13