Posted: May 5, 2014
Present: M. Meyer, Holthaus, Langreck, Bushman.
Absent: E. Meyer.
Brian Zweibohmer, along with Becky Walz from the Ossian Bee were present during the meeting Mayor Covell called the meeting to order at 4:55 p.m.
Officer Ward reported Ossian April was a routine month.
At 5:00 p.m. Mayor Covell announced the public hearing regarding the FY2014 Budget Amendment was open for comments. There were no oral or written comments made. Bushman made a motion closing the public hearing, seconded by M. Meyer, carried, one absent.
Lynn Felz explained she was acting on her son Lucas’s behalf to seek approval of his Eagle Scout Service Project. Lucas wasn’t able to attend the meeting due to a school activity but provided a written copy of the project proposal. The project is to raise funds to purchase and install a flagpole, a light to spotlight the flag and a bench all to placed at the fire station.
Bushman made a motion approving the Eagle Scout Service Project Proposal submitted by Lucas Felz and a $1000.00 contribution from the City to be used toward the project , seconded by M. Meyer, carried, one absent.
Arlan Paulson came to the Council questioning what was going to be done to the sewer lift station adjacent to his property to help prevent future electrical/mechanical problems. The lift station controls mal-functioned and caused sewage to backup into his basement. Brian Zweibohmer explained the company that services the lift station was contacted. Their recommendation was to install a back-up device that will operate separate from the lift station controls. If there is a system mal-function, this device will still operate and alert the City to the problem. The Council discussed the matter and made the decision to have the back-up device installed on the lift station.
Ryan Becker, from Becker Hardware, presented a cost estimate to install an air compressor at the new shop/fire station facility. It would be installed to accommodate both departments. Estimated cost for the compressor with a 100 ft. retractable hose and installation is $4000.00. The City’s maintenance department also put together a cost estimate to build a work bench in the new City shop. The materials and installation for the work bench came to approximately $1500.00.
Bushman made a motion authorizing the purchase and installation of an air compressor w/100 ft retractable hose from Becker Hardware at an estimated cost of $4000.00 and also directed the City’s maintenance department to purchase the supplies to have Upper Iowa Construction install a 17ft work bench in the new shop with the cost of supplies and installation estimated at $1,500.00, seconded by M. Meyer, carried, one absent.
The Mayor and City Council discussed issues with concrete poured for the driveway leading to the new city shop’s overhead doors. Areas of the concrete are flaking and dipping. The concrete supplier is willing to supply 30 yards of concrete to re-pour the damaged concrete. The estimate from DCCI to remove the damaged concrete, put in new concrete and re-rod, add rock, drill, pin and seal the new concrete is $8925.00. DCCI would be willing to absorb some of those costs and charge the City $6,000.00. It is the consensus of the Council the City shouldn’t have to pay anything to remove and replace the concrete believing the City did nothing to cause the damage. Sample borings of the concrete may determine what caused the concrete to flake. So until there is some results from the borings taken, the Council decided not to do anything with the concrete on the north side of the new shop/fire station facility.
The Council gave approval to a request made by Becker Hardware granting them permission to park equipment, etc. on the City’s property east of the new shop/fire station property.
Langreck made a motion to approve the following consent items April 7, 2014 council minutes, clerk’s reports and the monthly bills, seconded by Holthaus, carried, one absent.
M. Meyer made a motion introducing Resolution #546, a resolution amending the current budget for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2014, seconded by Bushman.
The Mayor put the question on the motion and the following named Council Members voted:
Ayes: Holthaus, Langreck, Bushman, M. Meyer.
Nays: None. Absent: E. Meyer.
Whereupon the Mayor declared said motion approved.
Bushman made a motion setting the City’s part-time maintenance position’s wage for FY15, beginning July 1, 2014, at $10.00/hr, seconded by Holthaus, carried, one absent.
The Mayor and Council discussed a request made by Eun Hee Kuhn asking for the City’s assistance to pay for infrastructure expenditures for a housing subdivision she is planning. Following discussion ,Holthaus made a motion authorizing the City to pay for the water main and the sewer main for the Kuhn’s proposed housing subdivision, seconded by M. Meyer, carried, one absent. Kuhn would be responsible for the cost of installing the main.
Cost estimates from Prairie Road Builders, Inc. and Blacktop Service Company, submitted for summer 2014 street maintenance, were reviewed. Langreck made a motion to accept the proposal submitted by Blacktop Service Co. to make seal coat repairs and asphalt patch to a couple of alleys, a small section on Broadway St. and Becker Avenue pending pea rock is used for the repairs, seconded by M. Meyer, carried, one absent.
Bushman made a motion approving the Columbus Hall’s request to transfer their Alcoholic Beverage Permit to Carey’s Park on June 21-22, 2014, seconded by M. Meyer, carried, one absent.
The request to begin the process to grant ITC Midwest an electric franchise was tabled until further information on the matter is clarified.
It was the consensus of the Council to sweep Castalia’s streets for the same fee charged in 2012, $750.00.
A general discussion on cell phone options for the City’s maintenance personal was discussed.
M. Meyer made a motion approving a building permit for Karl Schroeder, seconded by Holthaus, carried, one absent.
Bushman made a motion to adjourn, seconded by M. Meyer, carried, one absent. Meeting adjourned at 6:50 p.m
April 2014 Expenses
- Ace Communications-phone 364.64
- Aflac-employee deduction 215.28
- Alliant Energy-elect. services 5670.00
- Baker & Taylor-library books 288.04
- Becker Hardware-const pymt #2 38000.00
- Becker Hardware-misc. exp & supp 13.30
- Beckmans Ace Hdwe-misc supplies 14.99
- Black Hills Energy-gas utilities 1145.12
- Bolson Floor Service-maint services 535.00
- Book Look-library books 212.87
- Brian Zweibohmer-mtg reimb 12.00
- Brockman’s-misc supplies 3.99
- Calmar Area Swim Team-donation 1000.00
- Cardmember Services-library supp. 13.72
- Casey’s-operating supplies 182.92
- Chucks Service-vehicle maint. 40.43
- City of Calmar-police services 15250.00
- City Laundering-services 73.69
- Collection Service Ctr- employ.deduct. 990.00
- Continental Research Corp-supplies 303.65
- Cooportunity Health Ins-mnthly premium 1550.08
- Data Tech-mtg fee 47.50
- DCCI-project const. pymt #9 7410.00
- Demco-library supplies 68.38
- Dennis Hageman Const-repair 31.25
- Don Dilaura-mtg reimb 233.26
- Don’s Truck Sales-repairs 197.08
- Doug Egeland Tiling-repair services 140.00
- Elaine Myhre Hegg-library book 20.00
- Farmers Union Coop-operating supp. 1022.18
- Fayette Publishing-publications 69.83
- Flags USA-flags 468.00
- Hawkins-operating supplies 20.00
- IAMU-NISA Apr-Jun fees 295.71
- IPERS-April Ipers 1878.29
- Keystone Lab-lab fees 278.00
- Luana Savings Bank-h.s.a. pymt & fees 310.00
- Malcom Enterprises-garbage service 5107.60
- MidAmerica Books-library books 61.80
- Midwest Tape-library videos 305.85
- Municipal Supply-maint/repair supplies 206.89
- Napa Auto Parts-operating supplies 31.69
- Ossian Lumber Co-repair supplies 15.53
- Post Office-postage 195.20
- Postville Vet Clinic-UPS chgs 60.00
- Reminisce Extra-library subscription 14.98
- Riley’s Inc-operating supp 30.00
- IRS-April Federal deposit 3239.49
- Simple 7 Delicious-library subscription 16.98
- Treas. State of Iowa-1st qtr s/tax 1607.00
- U.S. Cellular-phone services 91.98
- Upstart-library supplies 11.35
- USA Bluebook-operating supplies 254.42
- Wiltgen Const.-rock 193.92
- Zarnoth Brush Works – sweeper repair 25.80
- April payroll 7704.22
April 2014 Expenses by Fund
- General 34408.06
- Road Use 2860.95
- Employee Benefits 1850.08
- Local Option Tax 241.80
- Capitol Project 45410.00
- Water 7409.90
- Sewer 5363.11
April 2014 Receipts
- General 87180.74
- Road Use Tax 5376.21
- Employee Benefits 11174.79
- Emergency 2336.95
- Local Option Tax 6623.79
- Library Trust 6680.00
- Debt Service 15192.45
- Cemetery 75.00
- Water 11458.63
- Sewer 9127.31