Posted: March 17, 2016
Present: Meyer, Lienau, Langreck, Holthaus, Beckman.
Don Dilaura, Brian Zweibohmer, Karl Schroeder, Ken Witt, along with Zak Kriener from the Ossian Bee were present during the meeting.
Following the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, Mayor Green called the meeting to order at 5:00 p.m.
Motion was made by Meyer and seconded by Holthaus to conduct the public hearing for the 2016 Budget, motion carried. Mayor Green asked if anyone present had any questions or comments. There were no written comments or objections submitted, nor were there any comments or objections from those present. Meyer made a motion to close the public hearing seconded by Holthaus, carried.
Ken Witt addressed the council requesting information regarding properties whose owners were notified about nuisance violations on their premises. Discussion followed.
Karl Schroeder told the Mayor and Council he had concerns with rental properties only having one exit and suggested the Council consider putting regulations in place for rental properties. Discussion followed. Mayor Green indicated he will check with the State Fire Marshall and the City of Decorah for their input.
Officer Hageman gave the police report noting: investigations being conducted, citations and a simple arrest were made and their plan to emphasize slowing traffic down concentrating on one street a month by using warnings and citations.
Mayor Green reported on animal control issues along with his intentions to continue contributing an article to the Ossian Bee every so often to give residents an insight as to what is happening in the City.
On behalf of the City, Joe Kriener submitted a grant application to Black Hills Energy for trees in Carey’s Park.
Kriener noted the grant was approved and reviewed the tree planting plan for the park with the Mayor & Council Holthaus made a motion approving the following consent items, February 1, 2016 council minutes, clerk’s reports and the monthly bills, seconded by Meyer, carried
The Mayor and Council discussed the City’s participation in the proposed joint-community recreation program introduced at the February 1st council meeting. Lienau made a motion authorizing the City’s participation in the joint-community recreation program and to contribute $5,000.00 to the program, seconded by Meyer, carried.
A discussion involving the FY2017 Budget included: no pickup will be purchased, cost estimates to make repairs to the log cabin in Carey’s Park are needed, review the plans and cost estimate for the pavilion in Carey’s Park, contact contractors for estimates to install new lighting in the community center/library building, contact contractors for estimates to install three windows in the community center meeting room, seek options to make repairs to the street at the intersection of Mary and Brooks Streets, continue working with the City’s engineers to improve sewer flow out of Reilly’s Addition. Discussion on payroll practices and wages were tabled until the April 4th council meeting.
Beckman made a motion introducing Resolution #564, a resolution approving the FY2017 Budget, seconded by Langreck. The Mayor put the question on the motion and the following named Council Members voted:
Ayes: Holthaus, Langreck, Lienau, Beckman, Meyer.
Whereupon the Mayor declared said motion approved.
It was the consensus of the Council to continue offering two years of complimentary water and sewer to new “main street” store front businesses.
Lienau made a motion setting a public hearing date and time for April 4, 2016 at 5:00 p.m., for the purpose of amending the FY16 Budget, seconded by Langreck, carried.
Meyer made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Lienau. Carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:45 pm.
February 2016 Expenses
- Acentek-phone/internet charges 450.90
- Aflac-employee deduction 165.84
- Alliant Energy-electric utilities 5840.60
- Allied Systems Inc-repair 115.00
- Auditor of Iowa-exam fee 1200.00
- Automatic Systems-repair 13858.13
- Baker & Taylor-library books 161.39
- Becker Hardware-services & repair 729.91
- Black Hills Energy-gas utilities 972.32
- Book Look-library books 9.00
- Brian Zweibohmer-mtg reimb 6.00
- Cardmember Services-libr supplies 25.99
- Casey’s-vehicle operations 212.04
- Chuck’s Service-repair 157.70
- City Laundering-services 215.27
- Collection Service Ctr- employ.deduct. 990.00
- Columbus Hall-permit refund 97.50
- Don Dilaura-mtg reimb 6.00
- Farmers Union Coop-vehicle operation 292.84
- Fayette Publishing-publication fee 83.33
- Gundersen Med Ctr-testing services 88.00
- Hawkins-operating supplies 15.00
- IAMU-qtrly fees & member dues 1007.93
- IMFOA-annual dues 50.00
- Iowa One Call-locate services 33.40
- IPERS-Feb. Ipers 1929.84
- Joyce Bakewell-reimb supplies 49.99
- Keystone Lab-lab fees 242.00
- Luana Savings Bank-h.s.a.pymt & fees 470.00
- Malcom Enterprises-garbage service 4961.00
- Midwest Living-subscription 21.37
- Midwest Tape-videos 221.44
- Mitinet Inc-library services 219.00
- Ossian Crown Club-annual dues 50.00
- Ossian Lumber Co-supplies 8.49
- Post Office-postage 197.05
- Ossian Public Library-petty cash reimb 75.38
- Postville Vet Clinic-UPS chgs 54.50
- Region 1 AWWA-meeting fee 40.00
- Reilly Const-snow removal 2070.00
- Riley’s-supplies 30.00
- Rite Price Supply-supplies 194.16
- IRS-Fed Federal deposit 3637.65
- SW Post Prom-contribution 100.00
- The Penworthy Co-library books 109.35
- U.S. Cellular-phones & services 94.96
- Upstart-library supplies 373.20
- Wellmark-insurance premium 1399.20
- Ziegler Inc-repair 214.91
- Zoobooks-subscription 25.95
- February payroll 7637.39
February 2016 Expenses by Fund
- General 19074.49
- Road Use 4609.86
- Employee Benefits 1849.20
- Water 19224.65
- Sewer 6452.72
February 2016 Receipts
- General 11837.38
- Road Use Tax 8733.95
- Employee Benefits 233.77
- Emergency 39.00
- Local Option Tax 8163.52
- Debt Service 239.15
- Water 24948.31
- Sewer 13956.96