Posted: March 2, 2020
Present: Holthaus, Goltz, Knutson, Lienau, Langreck.
Don Dilaura, Brian Zweibohmer and Karl Schroeder were present at the meeting, along with Zak Kriener from the Ossian Bee. The following Boy Scouts, Alex Ellingson, Casey Bohr, Quinn Huinker and Eric Kriener and family members (Michelle Ellingson, Bruce Bohr, Randy Huinker and Joe Kriener) were also in attendance during the meeting giving the boys the opportunity to earn a merit badge
Following the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, Mayor Beckman called the meeting to order at 5:00 pm.
Mayor Beckman announced the public hearing for the FY2020/2021 Budget was open for any questions or comments. There were no written comments or objections submitted, nor were there any comments or objections from those present. Mayor Beckman closed the public hearing.
The Mayor and Council reviewed the submitted February police report.
Mayor Beckman’s report included; the Personal Committee and himself interviewed five applicants for the city clerk’s position during the month of February eventually narrowing the selection to two applicants; noted attending an Emergency Management meeting on Feb. 3rd, Mayors Coalition on Feb. 19th and the Winneshiek County Conference Board on Feb 20th. The Mayor also explained there is funding available to take down nuisance residential housing owned by the city, county, or non-profit.
Holthaus made a motion approving the following consent items: February 3, 2020 council minutes, clerk’s reports and the monthly bills, seconded by Knutson, carried.
Gary Morris applied for a fence permit. Following review and discussion of the application, Lienau made a motion approving a fence permit for Morris, with the recommendation he get a written agreement from the adjacent property owner allowing access on their property to perform maintenance to the fence, seconded by Goltz, carried.
Lienau made a motion approving Resolution #628, a resolution approving the FY2020/2021 Budget, seconded by Langreck.
Whereupon the Mayor put the question on the motion and the following named Council Members voted:
Ayes: Holthaus, Langreck, Lienau, Goltz, Knutson.
Whereupon the Mayor declared said motion carried and the resolution adopted.
Goltz made a motion approving Resolution #629, a resolution adopting the Winneshiek County, Iowa Multi-Jurisdiction (MJ-9)
Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan, seconded by Knutson. Whereupon the Mayor put the question on the motion and the following named
Council Members voted:
Ayes: Holthaus, Langreck, Lienau, Goltz, Knutson.
Whereupon the Mayor declared said motion carried and the resolution adopted
Lienau made a motion to approve Casey’s General Store’s application for a Class E Liquor License/Class B Wine Permit/Class C Beer Permit w/Sunday Sales, seconded by Knutson, carried.
The Council discussed past problems with grass clippings being mowed onto city streets and alleys. It was noted that doing so is a violation of section 135.03 in the City’s Code of Ordinance and violators can be penalized. It was the consensus of the Council to establish a policy enforcing violators who mow grass onto city streets and alleys charging them a municipal infraction which will carry a fine. Guidelines for the policy was discussed with the city clerk being directed to draft a policy for the April 6, 2020 council meeting.
The nuisance abatement matter at 209 Fisher Ave was discussed. It was decided the owner will be contacted, via our city attorney, requesting assistance in facilitating entry into the house, for an inspection to take place.
Langreck made a motion approving the Urban Revitalization/Tax Abatement project submitted by Ian Lienau making those improvements eligible for the tax abatement program, seconded by Holthaus, carried with Lienau abstaining from the vote.
Employee wages were discussed, after which Holthaus made a motion approving a $.40/hr. increase to the full-time city employees for FY/2020/2021, seconded by Langreck, carried.
Jake Holthaus addressed the Council with concerns regarding water bills he received.
Goltz left the Council meeting at approximately 6:00 pm.
The Mayor and Council held a lengthy discussion concerning the final candidates being considered as the replacement for the city clerk position. Following discussion Lienau made a motion recommending Ashley Goltz be hired to replace the retiring city clerk at the hourly rate of $17.50, seconded by Langreck, carried, with the four council members present all saying yes. Council member Goltz was absent from the meeting and did not participate during discussion and vote of this agenda item.
There was a general discussion concerning a change in a section of the employee personal manual involving vacation along with the need for a floor scrubber at the fire station.
Langreck made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Lienau, carried, one absent. Meeting adjourned at 6:45 pm.
February 2020 Expenses
- Acentek–phone/internet charges 493.75
- Aflac– employee insurance 335.92
- Alliant Energy–elect utilities 6143.17
- Badger Meter–service fees 64.50
- Baker & Taylor Co–library books 392.49
- Baumler Computer Repr. security equip 1855.00
- Beans Tire Service–tires 975.00
- Becker Hardware–maint supplies/repair 412.29
- Black Hills Energy–gas utilities 973.15
- Brian Zweibohmer-phone & supp reimb 102.83
- Card Services–operating supplies 334.20
- Casey’s–vehicle operations 873.62
- Center Point Large Print–books 184.59
- City Laundering–services 114.65
- Decorah Tech–tech services 146.25
- Don Dilaura–phone & mtg reimb 56.00
- Don;s Truck Sales–maint supplies 614.53
- Family Support Pymt Ctr-pymt service 1423.00
- Fayette Publishing-publication fee 316.82
- IRS– February Federal deposit 3260.81
- Gundersen Lutheran Med Ctr–services 88.00
- Hawkins–supplies 15.00
- IMFOA–annual dues 50.00
- Iowa One Call–locate service 18.00
- IPERS–February Ipers 2137.45
- L&B Electric–repair 90.00
- Chris Lauer–tree removal 1300.00
- Luana Savings Bank– HSA pymt 450.00
- Malcom Enterprises–garbage serv. 4971.17
- Midwest Tape-videos 90.71
- Ossian Post Office-postage 145.25
- Ranger Rick Zoobooks-subscription 29.95
- Region 1AWWA-mtg fee 50.00
- Simmering-Cory-city code maint. 775.00
- Spee–Dee Delivery–shipping chgs 97.56
- Storey Kenworthy–billing supplies 759.00
- USA Bluebook–operating supplies 146.80
- Utility Equipment Co.–repair 79.26
- Wellmark–heath insurance 3571.35
- February 2020 payroll 6973.49
February 2020 Expenses by Fund
- General 22284.26
- Road Use 3369.14
- Employee Benefits 3013.64
- Water 6059.86
- Sewer 6183.66
February 2020 Receipts
- General 7759.18
- Road Use Tax 10424.86
- Employee Benefits 108.53
- Emergency 19.48
- Local Option Sales Tax 7450.51
- Debt Service 114.43
- Water 8959.69
- Sewer 13296.58