Posted: July 3, 2017
Present: Langreck, Meyer, Beckman, Lienau. Holthaus arrived at 5:05 pm.
Don Dilaura and Zak Kriener from the Ossian Bee were present during the meeting. Justin and Danielle Portz attended the meeting as observers.
Following the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, Mayor Green called the meeting to order at 5:00 pm.
Kevin Lee and Robyn Dundee spoke to the Council encouraging them to preserve the cabin in Carey’s Park. The Council explained that no decision has been made as to the future of the cabin, but noted the City has no funds available at this time to make the necessary repairs to the structure. Dundee asked the Council for the opportunity to work on raising funds to restore the cabin. Dundee explained her goal is to make the repairs in phases, starting with the roof. Following discussion Lienau made a motion suggesting the City try and preserve the cabin allowing Dundee to continue her efforts to raise funds to maintain the cabin, seconded by Meyer, carried.
Mayor Green reported on the following: the sewer project recently completed in the Reilly Addition proved it is working when we had a heavy rain; the church on the property the City recently purchased is ready for removal.
Green also encouraged the Council Members to help with RAGBRAI in a way their schedule would allow.
Holthaus made a motion approving the following consent items: June 5, 2017 council minutes, clerk’s reports and the monthly bills, seconded by Lienau, carried
Lienau made a motion to approve Contract Change Order #1 in the amount of $15,932.35, for the Jessie-Brooks-West Street Project, seconded by Beckman, carried. The new contract price including this change order will be $1,099,862.05.
Beckman made a motion authorizing Payment #3 in the amount of $334,358.02 to Croell Inc. for the Jessie-Brooks-West Street Project, seconded by Lienau, carried.
Langreck made a motion to approve Contract Change Order #2-Final in the amount of $690.10, for the Reilly Addition Interceptor Sewer Project, seconded by Holthaus, carried. The new contract price including this change order will be $229,287.25.
Meyer made a motion authorizing Payment #2 in the amount of $56,863.35 to Bacon Concrete, LLC for the Reilly Addition Interceptor Sewer Project, seconded by Meyer, carried.
Beckman made a motion approving the status of the Reilly Addition Interceptor Sewer Project as being substantially completed by Bacon Concrete, seconded by Meyer, carried.
A matter involving encroachment on property owned by Military Trails Estates was brought to the Council’s attention by Bill Nelson, the engineer working on the subdivision plans. Nelson asked the Council if they had any suggestions to help solve the issue. Following discussion, the Council recommended that Nelson do what he thinks works best in their plans for the Military Trails Estates subdivision.
Holthaus made a motion approving an outdoor service application for Shooter’s Bar & Grill and Ossian Crown Club’s application for a 5 day Beer Permit w/Outdoor Service, seconded by Meyer, carried.
A motion was made by Langreck to re-appoint Laura Greve as the City of Ossian’s representative on the South Winneshiek Recreation Board, seconded by Holthaus, carried.
The Council reviewed a list of properties where there appears to be nuisance and/or ordinance violations. The city clerk was directed to send letters informing those residents of their nuisance or ordinance violation and the need to take care of the problem.
Following discussion, a motion was made by Beckman to hire Penny Hertges to do cleaning in the community center building, seconded by Holthaus, carried. Hertges will be paid $200.00/month for her services.
Dilaura informed the Mayor & Council on the following; both the moisture problem in the new shop and the cracked stucco have been addressed by the contractor; work on the water treatment aerator is scheduled for this week; there is a section of sanitary sewer line on the east end of Fisher Ave. that should be televised to check for infiltration.
A general discussion by the Council included the following: leasing or sharing an electronic speed sign with another community; school traffic signals; RAGBRAI and the street project.
Langreck made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Holthaus, carried. Meeting adjourned at 6:40 pm.
June 2017 Expenses
- Acentek-phone/internet charges 478.96
- Aflac-employee deduction 254.40
- Alliant Energy-elect utilities 5876.75
- Anderson Law Firm-legal fees 1025.40
- Bacon Concrete-construction project 158651.04
- Baker & Taylor-library books 1006.08
- Baumler Computer Repair-services 50.00
- Beans Tire Service-services 228.00
- Becker Hardware-suppl. & repair 75.96
- Black Hills Energy-gas utilities 194.49
- Bohr Construction-street repairs 2325.00
- Book Look-library books 237.35
- Brian Zweibohmer-phone 50.00
- Cardmember Services-library supplies 350.99
- Casey’s-vehicle operations 357.51
- Center Point Books-library books 151.02
- City Laundering-services&supplies 205.21
- Croell Inc-construction project 69515.33
- Dalaco-maint supplies 238.00
- Decorah Implement-equip lease 1500.00
- Decorah Newspapers-publication 10.72
- Decorah Tire Service-tires 1949.32
- Demco-library supplies 24.25
- INDR-permit renewals 120.00
- Don Dilaura-phone& reimb 298.72
- Family Support Pymt Ctr-pymt service 1423.00
- Farmers Union Coop-supplies 55.40
- Fayette Publishing-publication fee 435.50
- Goodhousekeeping-subscription 37.42
- Hawkins-operating supplies 10.00
- ICAP-insurance 19355.98
- IIW Engineers-engineering fees 31229.50
- IMWCA-insurance 3993.00
- Iowa History Journal-subscription 18.95
- Iowa League of Cities-member dues 724.00
- Iowa One Call-services 24.30
- IPERS-June Ipers 2341.75
- Jerome Massman-pavilion project 19000.00
- Keystone Lab-lab fees 296.50
- Kyle Meyer-services 540.00
- L&B Electric-repair 694.64
- Luana Savings Bank-h.s.a.pymt & fees 460.00
- Malcom Enterprises-garbage service 4921.48
- Marvin Meyer-mtg reimb 47.18
- Midwest Tape-library videos 157.22
- Miracle Recreation-repair 35.39
- Mitchell Holthaus-reimb supplies 9.00
- Ossian Crown Club-Ragbrai reimb 779.00
- Ossian Lumber Co.-bldg supplies 2197.82
- Ossian Post Office-postage&box rent 251.66
- Ossian Library-petty cash reimb 93.33
- Postville Vet Clinic-ups charges 72.50
- Reilly Const-snow removal 600.00
- Riley’s-supplies 60.00
- Rite Price Supply-supplies&equip 706.27
- Roger Colbenson-flower baskets 1540.00
- IRS-June Federal deposit 4228.30
- Target Supplies-maint supplies 180.00
- TEI Landmark Audio-book lease 609.50
- Terry Bohr-reimb repair 64.15
- Treas State of Iowa-state taxes 2147.00
- Utility Equip Co-repair supplies 574.15
- Wellmark-insurance premium 2772.11
- Winn Co Engineer-maint supplies 56.98
- Winn Title Abstract-services 205.00
- June 2017 payroll 10817.98
June 2017 Expenses by Fund
- General 73952.03
- Road Use 7864.69
- Employee Benefits 2454.88
- Capitol Projects 260414.87
- Water 7083.13
- Sewer 7170.86
June 2017 Receipts
- General 38723.50
- Road Use Tax 12770.80
- Employee Benefits 536.80
- Emergency 91.94
- Local Option Tax 16406.92
- Library Trust 25.00
- Debt Service 529.79
- Water 11391.20
- Sewer 12932.24