Posted: July 1, 2019
Present: Beckman, Langreck, Knutson. Holthaus arrived at 5:08 p.m.
Don Dilaura was present at the meeting as was Zak Kriener from the Ossian Bee. Art Uhlenhake and Evroul Beckman were also in attendance during the meeting.
Following the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, Mayor Green called the meeting to order at 5:00 pm.
Brian Jerviss, representing AcenTek, explained to the Mayor and Council that AcenTek is upgrading their copper base facility and replacing it with Fiber. This upgrade to the system will improve internet performance. Installation will consist of directional drilling and plowing with several contractors performing the work. Once the Fiber is installed to each property, AcenTek employees will make the connections to the home/business. Jerviss noted that each property will be connected to the Fiber whether or not the property owner utilizes their service. Installing the Fiber is expected to start in mid-August with that portion of the project taking approximately six weeks to complete. AcenTek employees will then start making the connections to each property which may take several months to complete.
Scott Simmons asked the Council for permission to keep nine chickens at 210 N. Boody Street, the property he resides at with Christina Broszeit. The Council explained his request needed to be included as an agenda item before it could be acted on. Therefore his request will be considered at the August 5, 2019 council meeting when it is included on the meeting agenda.
No police report was submitted.
Mayor Green noted the maintenance work on portions of Broadway Street and Jessie Street-Alley have been completed and Military Trail’s Estate has seen some progress. Dilaura added the contractor has finished installing the water and sewer main in the new development. After pressure testing is completed the laterals to the lots will get put in. Dilaura also mentioned when the contractor starts work on the streets, the City had agreed in August 2018 to pay to have the city’s section of street tiled.
Beckman reported he was present for the Hazard Mitigation planning meeting that took place in June.
Beckman made a motion approving the following consent items: June 3, 2019 council minutes, clerk’s reports and the monthly bills, seconded by Holthaus, carried, one absent.
Beckman made a motion approving the Ossian Crown Club’s application for a 5-Day Beer Permit w/Outdoor Service, seconded by Knutson, carried, one absent.
Discussion establishing regulations for golf carts and UTVs within the city’s corporate limits was discussed with the Council directing the city clerk to start putting an ordinance together using samples from other cities as a guide.
The Council reviewed the City’s vicious dog ordinance expressing concerns that its content was lacking when it came to the enforcement process. The city clerk was asked to update the ordinance for the August 5, 2019 meeting.
The Council discussed the issue regarding property owners that blow excessive amounts of grass clippings on the streets and alleys when they mow. It is a violation of the City’s Code of Ordinance to do so, but enforcement has been minimal. Implementing a penalty to violators was discussed. It will be given further consideration at the August 5, 2019 council meeting.
The Council discussed their concerns regarding the poor condition of the house and property located at 209 Fisher Avenue. It was concluded by the Council that due to lack of effort to clean up the nuisance and maintain the home, condemnation of the property will be initiated. The Council told the city clerk to contact the city attorney to take the necessary steps to begin the process to condemn the property.
The Council discussed the city-wide fall clean-up day. It was decided to finalize a date when the city-wide fall garage sale date was set.
Holthaus made a motion approving a building permit for Jean Zweibahmer, seconded by Langreck, carried, one absent.
Holthaus made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Knutson, carried, one absent. Meeting adjourned at 6:13 pm.
June 2019 Expenses
- Acentek-phone/internet charges 492.81
- Aflac- employee insurance 206.52
- Alliant Energy-elect utilities 5985.44
- Badger Meter-service fee 64.35
- Baker & Taylor-library books 252.44
- Bankers Trust Co.-loan pymt 117940.00
- Becker Hardware-maint supplies/repair 1883.14
- Black Hills Energy-gas utilities 116.90
- book Look-library books 407.74
- Brian Zweibohmer-phone & mtg reimb 56.00
- Card Services-operating expenses 245.80
- Casey’s-vehicle operations 515.36
- Center Point Large Print-books 50.52
- City Laundering-services 222.40
- Continental Research Corp- supplies 190.70
- David Knutson-tech services 40.00
- Don Dilaura-phone & mtg reimb 56.00
- Family Support Pymt Ctr-pymt service 1423.00
- Fayette Publishing-publication fee 334.90
- Hawkins-operating supplies 15.00
- ICAP-property/vehicle/liability insurance 17267.42
- IMWCA-work comp insurance 6445.00
- Iowa Prison Industries-operating supp 36.35
- IPERS-June Ipers 2581.35
- Keystone Lab-lab fees 228.50
- Kyle Meyer-mowing services 560.00
- Luana Savings Bank-h.s.a.pymt 450.00
- Luana Savings Bank-loan pymt 60760.00
- Malcom Enterprises-garbage service 5053.04
- Midwest Patch-supplies 731.40
- Ossian Post Office-postage/box rent 266.00
- Ossian Public Library-petty cash 90.87
- Postville Vet Clinic-ups charges 21.00
- Reilly Const.-property maint. 3890.00
- Riley’s Inc-library supplies 30.00
- River City Paving-maint supplies 548.07
- Roger Colbenson-supplies 1575.00
- Spee-Dee Deliverty-shipping chgs 77.05
- IRS-June Federal deposit 4082.52
- Trans-Iowa Equipment-equip supplies 454.94
- Treasurer State of Iowa-state taxes 2010.00
- Wellmark-insurance 3197.45
- Winn Co Engineer-sign supplies 226.26
- June 2019 payroll 11593.99
June 2019 Expenses by Fund
- General 49698.17
- Road Use 8892.81
- Employee Benefits 2745.36
- Debt Service 178300.00
- Water 5971.05
- Sewer 7067.84
June 2019 Receipts
- General 22387.57
- Road Use Tax 11249.08
- Employee Benefits 528.50
- Emergency 127.36
- Local Option Sales Tax 8163.87
- Debt Service 147523.62
- Water 11273.18
- Sewer 11713.01