Posted: January 8, 2018
Present: Knutson, Lienau, Beckman, Holthaus, Langreck
Brian Zweibohmer, Karl Schroeder, Mike Meyer and Zak Kriener from the Ossian Bee were present during the meeting.
Following the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, Mayor Green called the meeting to order at 5:00 pm.
Mayor Green noted the city staff has been busy installing the new water meters. The Mayor also went over the new committee appointments with the Council.
In the absence of Officer Ward the written police report was reviewed.
Beckman made a motion approving the following consent items: December 4, 2017 council minutes, clerk’s reports and the monthly bills, seconded by Lienau, carried.
Lienau made a motion introducing Ordinance #72, an ordinance amending the Code of Ordinances of the City of Ossian. Iowa, by amending provisions pertaining to service charges for water service, and that it be read for the third and final time, seconded by Holthaus.
Whereupon the Mayor put the question on the motion and the following named Council Members voted:
Ayes: Holthaus, Langreck, Lienau, Beckman, Knutson.
Nays: None. .
Thereupon the Mayor declared said motion approved with Ordinance #72 becoming effective upon publication.
The city clerk reported the final plat for the Military Trail Estates First Addition was submitted to the City’s engineer for their review and recommendation. In the engineers review it was noted the plat addresses all the required items listed in Section 165.24 of the City’s Subdivision Regulations-Requirements of the Final Plat, with the exception of the naming of the new street. The improvement plans for the subdivision still need to be submitted to the City’s engineer for review before a formal approval of the subdivision is made by the City. At this point the City’s engineer has suggested the City approve the plat contingent upon subsequent review of the improvement plans. This will keep the process moving, but if the improvement plans indicate a need for the plat to change, there may be need for a plat amendment. Following discussion Beckman made a motion accepting the Military Trail Estates First Addition Plat contingent upon review of the improvement plans, seconded by Holthaus, carried.
A decision as to whether or not a Special Use Permit will be required for a business to operate at 109 Old Sewer Road was tabled until the February meeting.
The council discussed a sample ordinance pertaining to camping and recreational vehicles within the City. It was the consensus of the Council to address the ordinance at the next council meeting and introduce it for the first reading.
After reviewing the city employees health insurance renewal options, Beckman made a motion recommending the City renew the current health insurance plan; myBlue HSA/silver 3600 PPO SILVER effective February 1, 2018, seconded by Langreck, carried..
Lienau made a motion approving the renewals of Wild Woods Event Center and Casey’s General Store alcoholic beverages permits, seconded by Knutson, carried.
It was the consensus of the Council to continue using the Ossian Bee as the City’s official newspaper.
A general discussion was held concerning the FY2019 Budget including; building maintenance, equipment replacement, utility repairs, railroad crossing upgrade, debt payments and other miscellaneous items. Further consideration of the FY2019 Budget will be made at the February 5th council meeting.
Holthaus made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Lienau, carried. Meeting adjourned at 6:10 pm.
December 2017 Expenses
- Acentek-phone/internet charges 494.47
- Aflac-employee deduction 254.40
- Alliant Energy-elect utilities 5763.17
- Allied Systems-equip.maint. 681.76
- Baker & Taylor-library books 266.83
- Banyon Data Systems-tech services 2295.00
- Baumler Computer Repair- services 70.00
- Becker Hardware-repair & supplies 311.52
- Black Hills Energy-gas utilities 612.61
- Book Look-library books 224.86
- Brian Zweibohmer-phone reimb 50.00
- Calmar Mfg Co-library supplies 2540.00
- Casey’s-vehicle operations 448.05
- City Laundering-services&supplies 98.59
- Croell Inc.-construction pymt 39909.70
- Dennis Hageman Const-services 575.00
- Don Dilaura-phone&mtgs reimb 96.31
- Family Support Pymt Ctr-pymt service 1423.00
- Farmers Union Coop-supplies 25.00
- Fayette Publishing-publication fee 80.97
- Hawkins-operating supplies 15.00
- IIW Engineers-engineering services 8733.25
- Iowa One Call-services 62.70
- IPERS-December Ipers 2339.68
- Iroc Web Services-tech services 90.00
- John Deer Financial-operating supp. 54.41
- Joyce Bakewell-reimb. 157.90
- Keystone Lab-lab fees 216.00
- Linderbaum Auto-repair 29.00
- Luana Savings Bank-h.s.a.pymt, fees 450.00
- Malcom Enterprises-garbage service 4845.73
- Metering Technology Solutions- suppl. 99684.00
- Mid America Publishing- subscription 36.00
- Midwest Metal Fabricating-repair 1500.00
- Ossian Lumber Co.-supplies 777.00
- Ossian Post Office-postage 142.12
- Postville Vet Clinic-ups charges 62.00
- Reilly Const.-maint. Services 3834.04
- Riley’s-library supplies 30.00
- Rite Price Office-supplies 122.36
- Seventeen-subscription 16.02
- IRS-Nov Federal deposit 4172.14
- Treas.State of Iowa-3rd qtr state taxes 2271.00
- Wellmark-insurance premium 2772.11
- Wicks Construction-street repair 52463.58
- Winn. Co. Auditor-election fees 1231.66
- Winn. Co. Engineer-supplies 500.00
- Zieler Inc-equip.repair 666.08
- December 2017 payroll 10593.99
- Joyce Bakewell 44216.05
- Bryan Beckman 540.00
- Don Dilaura 56000.99
- Bill Green 2385.00
- Penny Hertges 1107.72
- Mitchell Holthaus 585.00
- Dan Langreck 585.00
- Sue Lienau 585.00
- Sarah McGee 234.48
- Marvin Meyer 495.00
- Julie Schildmeyer 5348.25
- Randall Timp 5773.45
- Brian Zweibohmer 49366.31
- Jude Zweibohmer 21656.16
December 2017 Expenses by Fund
- General 24365.44
- Road Use 58280.31
- Employee Benefits 978.24
- Library Trust 2915.00
- Capitol Projects 48642.95
- Water 99738.93
- Sewer 19165.14
December 2017 Receipts
- General 20985.54
- Road Use Tax 8463.33
- Employee Benefits 2468.29
- Emergency 400.12
- Local Option Tax 8167.03
- Library Trust 270.00
- Debt Service 2170.35
- Water 9783.84
- Sewer 12106.14