Posted: January 5, 2015
Present: M. Meyer, Bushman, Holthaus and Langreck arrived at 5:10 pm.
Absent: E. Meyer
Zak Kriener from the Ossian Bee and Don Dilaura and Brian Zweibohmer were present during the meeting.
Mayor Covell called the meeting to order at 5:00 p.m.
Officer Joe Ward gave the police report noting it was a typical month including an accident and written citations being issued. Ward, the Council and Ken Witt discussed junk vehicles at 209 Fisher Avenue.
Langreck arrived at 5:10 pm.
Langreck made a motion approving the following consent items December 1, 2014 council minutes, clerk’s reports and the monthly bills, seconded by Holthaus, carried, one absent.
Planning continues for the improvements proposed for Carey’s Park. Steps needed to get the concrete work done for the pavilion is the focus at hand.
The Mayor and Council discussed sections of the City Code giving consideration to changes that may be implemented during the re-codifying process of the City’s Code of Ordinances.
A general discussion was held concerning the FY2016 Budget including: property tax revenues, repairs needed for the sewer system, debt payments, street repairs, health insurance, wages, equipment, building operations and other miscellaneous expenses. Further consideration of the FY2016 Budget will be made at the February 2nd council meeting.
Bushman made a motion approving a request made to the IDOT by the Trails Unlimited Snowmobile Club, allowing the club’s trail to cross Hwy 52 at Carey’s Park, seconded by M. Meyer, carried, one absent.
M. Meyer made a motion approving the renewal of Casey’s General Store’s Beer/Sunday Sales/Native Wine Permit, seconded by Holthaus, carried, one, absent.
Bushman made a motion re-appointing Joyce Bakewell to the Regional Housing Board for a three year term, seconded by M. Meyer, carried, one absent.
The Council reviewed an estimate submitted by Dennis Hageman Const to build a storage room in the community center’s boiler room and gave the go ahead to proceed with the project. The current budget included funding for the project.
The city clerk reported meeting with Attorney Rick Zahasky regarding economic development options available to the City. After discussing the matter, the city clerk was directed to contact Zahasky for additional planning information.
There was a general discussion concerning recent problems taking place at CoOportunity, the City’s health insurance provider. Bushman Insurance recommended the City drop the health insurance coverage provided by CoOpportunity and seek out a new health insurance provider. Health coverage plans submitted from Wellmark Blue Cross of Iowa were reviewed. M. Meyer made a motion to cancel health insurance coverage with CoOportunity effective January 31, 2015 and enroll the City’s full-time employees in Wellmark Blue Cross of Iowa’s myBlue HSA Gold 2000 Gold plan effective February 1, 2015, seconded by Holthaus, carried, with Bushman abstaining and one absent.
Concerns with city vehicles being parked inside city buildings and where the snow plow should be housed were topics for discussion.
Bushman made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Langreck, carried, one absent. Meeting adjourned at 6:55 p.m.
December 2014 Expenses
- Acentek-phone/internet charges 463.33
- Aflac-employee deduction 161.52
- Alliant Energy-elect. utilities 5035.57
- Baker & Taylor-library books 268.45
- Becker Hardware-misc. supp/repair 68.24
- Beckmans Ace Hdwe-misc supplies 63.94
- Black Hills Energy-gas utilities 1201.13
- Cardmember Service-library supp. 41.71
- Casey’s-vehicle operations 137.29
- Center Point Large Print-books 148.22
- City Laundering-services 80.04
- Collection Service Ctr- employ.deduct. 990.00
- Cooportunity Health Ins-mnthly premium 1550.08
- Data Technologies-software services 1442.33
- Demco-library supplies 65.58
- Don Dilaura-mtgs reimb 426.64
- Don Dilaura-reimb operating supplies 735.84
- Farmers Union Coop- supp.&property 364.04
- Gundersen Medical Center-services 51.00
- Hawkins-operating supplies 10.00
- IIW Engineers-services 609.50
- IA State Revolving Loan-interest pymt 1020.00
- IPERS-December Ipers 2027.55
- Joyce Bakewell-mtgs reimbt 258.98
- Jude Zweibohmer-mtg reimb 10.12
- Junior Library Guild-books 396.00
- Keystone Lab-lab fees 182.50
- Luana Savings Bank-h.s.a. pymt & fees 320.00
- Malcom Enterprises-garbage service 5040.75
- MidAmerica Books-books 227.21
- Midwest Tape-videos 174.21
- Ossian Lumber Co-operating supplies 724.54
- Post Office-postage 193.84
- Postville Vet Clinic-UPS chgs 39.00
- Reilly Const-street maint. 175.00
- Riley’s Inc-operating supp 30.00
- Rite Price Office Supp.-office supplies 227.99
- IRS-December Federal deposit 4003.01
- Susan Davis-book 15.00
- Taste of Home-book 31.98
- Treas State of Iowa-4th qtr tax 2433.00
- U.S. Cellular-phones & services 96.18
- December payroll 10537.65
December 2014 Expenses by Fund
- General 24004.41
- Road Use 2973.52
- Employee Benefits 830.88
- Debt Service 1020.00
- Water 6290.88
- Sewer 6959.27
December 2014 Receipts
- General 43343.96
- Road Use Tax 6346.49
- Employee Benefits 972.95
- Emergency 180.73
- Local Option Tax 7914.75
- Library Trust 110.00
- Debt Service 1146.39
- Water 12263.25
- Sewer 14210.51