Posted: January 4, 2017
Present: Holthaus, Beckman, Meyer, Lienau, Langreck.
Don Dilaura, Brian Zweibohmer along with Zak Kriener from the Ossian Bee were present during the meeting.
Following the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, Mayor Green called the meeting to order at 5:00 pm.
Mayor Green commented on the following; good job with snow removal; community support to the firemen fighting the downtown fire on December 12th was exemplary; discussed having written instructions for the city’s utilities in case the pertinent personal are unavailable during emergency situations.
Holthaus made a motion approving the following consent items: December 5, 2016 council minutes, clerk’s reports and the monthly bills, seconded by Lienau, carried.
The Council reviewed sample Special Use Permit Applications. The Council directed the city clerk to prepare a Special Use Permit Application using the one prepared by the city’s attorney as a basis with criteria from other sample applications being incorporated into the document.
The Council discussed over time and how it could possibly be reduced by adjusting the work week for the maintenance department employees.
The Mayor and Council discussed the preliminary assessments calculated for the Jessie-Brooks-West Street Project and how the final assessments will be affected with the project bids coming in higher than anticipated. Historically when special assessments are levied for a street project 40% of the construction costs are assessed to the property owner and the City pays 60%. This project has to follow Iowa Department of Transportation regulations resulting in the project costing more than if it was a typical city street project. After re-evaluating the circumstances involved with this project it was concluded the historical way special assessments were calculated for past street projects was not appropriate for the Jessie-Brooks-West Street Project.
Langreck made a motion recommending the final assessment for each property owner being assessed along the Jessie-Brooks-West Street Project will be no more than 50% of the preliminary assessment they each received, seconded by Beckman, carried with Holthaus abstaining.
Estimates to put a new security system in the entry of the community center were reviewed. The Council also discussed having cameras installed around the exterior of the building at the same time. Lienau made a motion to hire Baumler Computer Repair and Recycling to install a security system that will accommodate both the community center entry and exterior of the building, seconded by Langreck, carried.
After reviewing the city employees health insurance renewal options, Holthaus made a motion recommending the City renew the current health insurance plan; myBlue HSA /silver 3600 PPO SILVER effective February 1, 2017, seconded by Meyer, carried.
Meyer made a motion setting a public hearing for the plans, specifications, contract documents and cost estimate for the Reilly Addition Interceptor Relocation 2017 Project for February 6, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. in the council meeting room located in the community center building at 123 W. Main street, seconded by Lienau, carried.
Lienau made a motion approving the renewals of Wild Woods Event Center and Casey’s General Store alcoholic beverages permits, seconded by Holthaus, carried.
It was the consensus of the Council to continue using the Ossian Bee as the City’s official newspaper.
A general discussion was held concerning the FY2018 Budget including: sewer and water utility repairs & upgrades, street repairs, building maintenance, debt payments and other miscellaneous items. Further consideration of the FY2018 budget will be made at the February 6th council meeting.
Holthaus made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Lienau, carried. Meeting adjourned at 6:40 pm.
December 2016 Expenses
- Acentek-phone/internet charges 454.00
- Aflac-employee deduction 254.40
- Alliant Energy-elect utilities 4832.12
- Baker & Taylor-library books 394.71
- Becker Hardware-suppl. & repair 494.06
- Black Hills Energy-gas utilities 482.42
- Brian Zweibohmer-phone reimb 50.00
- Bushman Ins.-employee bond 114.00
- Capco Products-supplies 163.51
- Cardmember Services-libr supplies 143.35
- Casey’s-vehicle operations 108.41
- Center Point Books-library books 97.26
- Chuck’s Service-vehicle maint. 122.97
- City Laundering-services 186.11
- Data Technologies-software services 1485.89
- Demco-library supplies 266.01
- Diamond Vogel-supplies 573.35
- Don Dilaura-phone/mtgs reimb 354.84
- Family Support Pymt Ctr-pymt service 1423.00
- Farmers Union Coop-supplies 135.11
- Fayette Publishing-publication fee 77.40
- Gale/Cengage Learning-library books 39.90
- Hawkins-operating supplies 15.00
- IA Rural Assoc-member dues 225.00
- IPERS-December Ipers 2230.96
- Junior LibraryGuild-library books 440.80
- Keystone Lab-lab fees 242.00
- L&B Electric-repair 198.83
- Luana Savings Bank-h.s.a.pymt 450.00
- Malcom Enterprises-garbage service 4882.86
- Midwest Living-subscription 9.99
- Ossian Lumber-supplies 34.99
- Ossian Post Office-postage 194.34
- Postville Vet Clinic-UPS chgs 102.75
- Reilly Const-repair 882.00
- Riley’s-supplies 30.00
- Rite Price Office Supplies-supplies 173.41
- IRS-December Federal deposit 4396.85
- Simple & Delicious-subscription 14.98
- South Winn Recreation-FY17 contrib. 5000.00
- TreasurerState of Iowa-qtrly taxes 2261.00
- Wellmark-insurance premium 1695.66
- ZieglerInc-generator services 3547.99
- December 2016 payroll 10455.47
- Joyce Bakewell 43516.00
- Bryan Beckman 540.00
- Don Dilaura 55379.02
- Bill Green 2340.00
- Mitch Holthaus 495.00
- Dan Langreck 540.00
- Susan Lienau 540.00
- Sarah McGee 240.99
- Mike Meyer 540.00
- Julie Schildmeyer 5034.35
- Randy Timp 6686.94
- Brian Zweibohmer 49540.30
- Jude Zweibohmer 21118.67
December 2016 Expenses by Fund
- General 27766.84
- Road Use 3208.18
- Employee Benefits 849.50
- Water 10475.67
- Sewer 7437.51
December 2016 Receipts
- General 21858.27
- Road Use Tax 7813.45
- Employee Benefits 2531.20
- Emergency 433.46
- Local Option Tax 8305.16
- Library Trust 100.00
- Debt Service 2498.13
- Water 9992.40
- Sewer 11483.67