Posted: January 4, 2016
Present: Meyer, Langreck, Beckman. Holthaus, Lienau.
Don Dilaura along with Zak Kriener from the Ossian Bee were present during the meeting.
Mayor Green called the meeting to order at 5:00 p.m.
George TeKippe, with the engineering firm of Fehr Graham, explained what their firm has to offer and asked for the opportunity to submit proposals for future city projects.
Joe Kriener, on behalf of Luana Savings Bank, submitted an application for approval of an Urban Revitalization/Tax Abatement Project for the portion of their new bank building that is unfinished as of 1/1/2016.
Joe Kriener explained there is a group of individuals from the area communities discussing the possibility of creating a multi-community recreational department for youth and adult programs. Funds would be pooled to have one recreational director who would manage and organize activities for all the small communities involved. Kriener noted the planning is in the early stages and more information would be presented at the February 1, 2016 council meeting.
Mayor Green told the Council he has plans to periodically put an article in the Ossian Bee to make the residents aware of what is happening in the City. Green also went over committee appointments with the Council.
Meyer made a motion approving the following consent items, December 7, 2015 council minutes, clerk’s reports and the monthly bills, seconded by Holthaus, carried.
Holthaus made a motion approving a building permit for Justin Bohr, seconded by Beckman, carried.
The Council reviewed the Urban Revitalization/Tax Abatement project application submitted by Luana Savings Bank.
Following discussion it was determined the unfinished portion of the project, as of 1/1/2016, would be eligible for the tax abatement as outlined in the City’s Urban Revitalization Plan. Meyer made a motion approving the Urban Revitalization/Tax Abatement project submitted by the Luana Savings Bank, seconded by Holthaus, carried.
Langreck made a motion approving the renewal of Casey’s General Store’s Beer/Native Wine/Sunday Sales Permit, seconded by Lienau, carried.
Holthaus made a motion approving an agreement with DigiFarm allowing them to mount an antenna on the city building located at 104 N. Lydia Street, seconded by Meyer, carried.
The Mayor and Council looked over the city employee’s health insurance renewal and the options available. The renewal date is February 1, 2016. Following discussion, Langreck made a motion recommending that effective February 1, 2016 the current health insurance plan for full-time employees, myBlue HSA Gold 2000 PPO Gold, not be renewed and be replaced with myBlue HSA Silver 3350 PPO Silver Plan. In addition, increase the $100 HSA monthly contribution made to the full-time employees to $150/month, seconded by Holthaus, carried.
Preliminary plans submitted by the City’s engineer for making improvements to the sanitary sewer mains serving residents in and near by Reilly’s housing addition were reviewed.
It was the consensus of the Council to continue using the Ossian Bee as the City’s official newspaper.
A general discussion was held concerning the upcoming FY2017 Budget including; sewer and water utility repairs, debt payments, wages, equipment, property maintenance and other miscellaneous items. Further consideration of the FY2017 Budget will be made at the February 1st council meeting.
Holthaus made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Langreck. Carried. Meeting adjourned at 6:55 pm.
December 2015 Expenses
- Acentek-phone/internet charges 450.52
- Aflac-employee deduction 165.84
- Alliant Energy-electric utilities 5033.01
- Anderson Law Firm-legal fees 2758.00
- Baker & Taylor-library books 297.89
- Becker Hardware-services & repair 1360.59
- Beckmans Ace Hardware-misc supp 30.92
- Black Hills Energy-gas utilities 557.92
- Bushman Insurance-employee bond 114.00
- Cardmember Service-library supp. 138.04
- Casey’s-vehicle operations 243.15
- Center Point Large Print-library books 172.69
- City Laundering-services 220.63
- Collection Service Ctr- employ.deduct. 990.00
- Data Technologies-software services 1471.18
- Don Dilaura-mtgs reimb. 289.80
- Fayette Publishing-publication fee 94.12
- Hach Company-operating supplies 1867.51
- Hawkins-operating supplies 425.00
- IA Division of Labor-boiler permits 200.00
- IA Rural Water Assoc.-member dues 225.00
- IPERS-Dec. Ipers 2212.08
- IROC-website services 80.00
- Joyce Bakewell-mileage reimb 208.67
- Junior Library Guild-book subscription 396.00
- Keystone Lab-lab fees 235.00
- Luana Savings Bank-h.s.a.pymt & fees 310.00
- Luana Savings Bank-interest pymt 994.58
- Malcom Enterprises-garbage service 5027.25
- MARC-operating supplies 198.54
- Marvin Meyer-mtg reimb 48.30
- Midwest Tape-library videos 87.10
- Mracek Plbg&Htg-repair 340.00
- Municipal Supply-repair 1065.00
- Post Office-postage 148.05
- Ossian Library-petty cash 74.43
- Postville Vet Clinic-UPS chgs 67.50
- Reilly Const-repair 1450.00
- Riley’s-supplies 30.00
- IRS-Dec Federal deposit 4597.23
- Taste of Home-library book 31.98
- Treas. State of Iowa- 4th qtr state taxes 2832.00
- U.S. Cellular-phones & services 94.91
- Wellmark-insurance premium 1824.90
- Westrum Leak Detection-services 687.50
- Ziegler Inc-operating supplies 22.98
- December payroll 11074.98
- Joyce Bakewell 42112.00
- Thomas Bushman 315.00
- Charles Covell 1920.00
- Don Dilaura 55146.05
- Mitchell Holthaus 420.00
- Dan Langreck 420.00
- Sarah McGee 4926.16
- Earl Meyer 280.00
- Marvin Meyer 385.00
- Julie Schildmeyer 101.75
- Randall Timp 5710.50
- Brian Zweibohmer 48329.03
- Judyth Zweibohmer 20466.27
December 2015 Expenses by Fund
- General 25750.60
- Road Use 2999.39
- Employee Benefits 842.57
- Debt Service 994.58
- Water 13076.29
- Sewer 7581.36
December 2015 Receipts
- General 24999.13
- Road Use Tax 9117.73
- Employee Benefits 2377.33
- Emergency 396.63
- Local Option Tax 8163.50
- Library Trust 100.00
- Debt Service 2431.98
- Water 11237.87
- Sewer 12858.73