Posted: January 3, 2022
Present: Goltz, Holthaus, Knutson, Langreck, Lienau
Also Present: Chad Bohr, Art Uhlenhake
Troy Anderson, Lance Peters, Tara Hoffert, Bill Green, Ivan Franzen left after they addressed the council.
Following the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, Mayor Beckman called the meeting to order at 5:00 p.m.
Troy Anderson and Lance Peters with South Winn Recreation spoke with the council about their programs and finances.
Tara Hoffert with Community Insurance of Iowa talked about health insurance.
Dave Hemesath discussed the possibility of Ossian acquiring the driveway by Carey’s Park currently owned by Farmer’s Union Coop.
Casey Sebastian with Iowa Rural Water Association discussed Ossian’s current water infrastructure and the impact a splash pad would have on it.
Council reviewed the submitted police report for December.
Langreck made a motion approving the following consent items: December 6, 2021 council minutes, clerk’s reports, and the monthly bills, seconded by Knutson carried.
Holthaus made a motion to switch health insurance companies to Allstate and continue the current HSA contributions to employees, second by Lienau, carried.
Lienau made a motion setting a public hearing for the Proposed Property Tax Levy for February 7, 2022 at 5:00 p.m., seconded by Goltz, carried
Lienau made a motion to start the process of vacating First Avenue with Ivan Franzen responsible for all costs associated with it, second by Holthaus; carried.
Lienau made a motion to apply for grants for handicap accessibility at the Community Center and that the City will continue with this project regardless of grant funding, second by Knutson; carried with Langreck absent.
Lienau made a motion to pledge $200 to Helping Services, $1,000 to NEIRHTF; $1957 to WCD&T, and $8,000 to South Winn Recreation for FY23, seconded by Goltz; carried with Langreck absent.
After discussion, council will have a purchase agreement drawn up for the driveway currently owned by Farmer’s Union Coop, valued to the City at $25,000, with the City responsible for all costs associated with the transfer of land.
Lienau made a motion renewing the Occupational Health Service Agreement with Gundersen Lutheran Administrative Services for January 1, 2022 to December 31, 2022, seconded by Holthaus; carried.
A general discussion regarding the FY2023 Budget included building and property maintenance, equipment, utility repairs and other miscellaneous items. Further consideration of the FY2023 budget along with employee wages will be made at the February 7, 2022 council meeting.
Council had discussion on putting a splash pad in Ossian. No formal decision has been made except that a recycled water system should be used if the City goes forward with this project.
Council had a general discussion regarding Highway 52 project financing, Lydia Street railroad crossing, pumphouse water leak, MTE mailboxes, and nuisance properties.
Holthaus made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Langreck; carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:19pm.
December 2021 Expenses
- Acentek 704.37
- AECOM–services 11063.00
- Aflac–employee insurance 519.54
- Alliant Energy–elect utilities 5787.90
- Allied Systems–repair 2480.53
- Ashley Goltz–reimb 73.60
- Badger Meter–services 64.95
- Baker & Taylor–libr books 650.17
- Becker Hardware–supplies 1237.82
- Black Hills Energy–gas utilities 986.31
- Bohr Construction–repair 175.00
- Brian Zweibohmer–reimb 112.00
- Brown’s Diesel Repair–repair 2420.62
- Bruening Rock Products–rock 235.71
- Bryan Beckman–mtg reimb 25.76
- Card Services–supplies 73.42
- Casey’s–vehicle operations 483.08
- Chuck’s Service–services 415.50
- Chad Bohr–reimb 112.00
- City Laundering–services 126.90
- City of Calmar–aerators 7500.00
- Community Insurance of Iowa–insurance 113.00
- Denis Holien–services 1200.00
- Dillon Law Firm–legal 460.00
- Don Dilaura–reimb 95.75
- Don’s Truck Service–repair 2916.32
- Electric Motor Shop–repair 130.10
- Family Support Payment Center 1423.00
- Farmers Coop–supplies 1509.38
- Fayette Publishing–publishing 136.49
- Fidelity Bank & Trust 4936.78
- Food Network–subscrip 39.97
- Hawkins–supplies 15.00
- Iowa Prison Industries–stickers 52.40
- Iowa State University–training 224.00
- IPERS–December Ipers 3493.42
- Iroc Web Design–services 100.00
- Joan Beckman–cleaning 30.00
- Keystone–fees 457.60
- Kurt Anfinson–services 500.00
- Luana Savings Bank–HSA/fees 460.00
- Malcom–garbage service 10636.62
- Marco–technology 135.10
- Ness Pumping Services–rental 1200.00
- Northeast Iowa Backhoe–repairs 1925.00
- Omnisite–service 972.00
- Ossian Lumber Co.–supplies 23.00
- Ossian Post Office–postage 158.61
- Quill–supplies 88.99
- Spee–dee Delivery–shipping 139.90
- Taste of Home–subscription 36.72
- Treasurer State of Iowa–Sales Tax 239.36
- Treasurer State of Iowa–Excise Tax 1566.39
- Treasurer State of Iowa–withholding 1519.00
- Tri–Township Fire Dept–fee 1500.00
- UMB Bank–bond fees 300.00
- Utility Equipment Co–supplies 2692.14
- Wellmark–heath insurance 1792.64
- Winneshiek Co. Enginner–supplies 84.58
- Winneshiek Co. Sheriff–service 40.12
- December 2021 payroll 15299.93
December 2021 Expenses by Fund
- General 40868.02
- Road Use 16085.58
- Employee Benefits 872.65
- Local Option Sales Tax 2000.00
- Debt Service 300.00
- Water 14942.39
- Sewer 18822.85
December 2021 Receipts
- General 21271.87
- Road Use Tax 7986.12
- Employee Benefits 1630.62
- Emergency 419.66
- Local Option Sales Tax 10747.74
- Debt Service 3257.62
- Water 10892.30
- Sewer 15982.54