Posted: December 4, 2017
Newly elected officials; Bill Green and Mitchell Holthaus were sworn into office prior to the meeting. Dave Knutson was sworn in just before the meeting adjourned.
Present: Holthaus, Beckman, Meyer, Langreck, Lienau.
Don Dilaura, Dave Knutson and Zak Kriener from the Ossian Bee were present during the meeting.
Following the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, Mayor Green called the meeting to order at 5:00 pm.
Mayor Green reported on various items that included: commending the city employees for cleaning up the city’s yard waste site; recommended looking into street leaf vacuums; working on committee appointments.
In the absence of Officer Ward the written police report was reviewed.
Langreck made a motion approving the following consent items: November 6, 2017 council minutes, clerk’s reports and the monthly bills, seconded by Lienau, carried.
Beckman made a motion authorizing Payment #7 in the amount of $39,909.70 to Croell Inc. for the Jessie-Brooks-West Street Project, seconded by Meyer, carried.
The city clerk reported Bill Nelson, the engineer working with the Military Trail Estates First Addition subdivision, said there is still some information needed before the final subdivision plat is ready to be presented to the council.
Meyer made a motion introducing Ordinance #72, an ordinance amending the Code of Ordinances of the City of Ossian. Iowa, by amending provisions pertaining to service charges for water service, and that it be read for the second time, seconded by Lienau.
Whereupon the Mayor put the question on the motion and the following named Council Members voted:
Ayes: Holthaus, Langreck, Lienau, Beckman, Meyer.
Thereupon the Mayor declared said motion approved.
The Mayor reported the property owner at 109 Old Sewer Road has shown paperwork validating there is a business being operated from that location. The owner will be reminded if the business is to continue to operate at that location an application for a Special Use Permit Within the Restricted Residence District must be submitted to the City Council for approval.
The council discussed a sample ordinance pertaining to camping and recreational vehicles within the City. Further consideration and discussion on the topic will continue at another time.
Due to New Year’s Day being the first Monday of the month, the January regular council meeting is being re-scheduled to January 8th at 5:00 pm.
Dilaura reported the collector box on the city’s street sweeper is rusting through and needs to be re-built. He noted the sweeper works good and is worth fixing. Reilly Construction estimated the cost to make the repairs at $5,000.00.
Lienau made a motion authorizing Reilly Construction to make the repairs to the sweeper collector box, seconded by Meyer, carried.
A general discussion took place and included the following: improvements to the railroad crossing on North Lydia Street, building maintenance and the FY19 Budget, etc.
Mayor Green presented outgoing council person Mike Meyer with a certificate of appreciation for his past sixteen years of service on the Ossian City Council.
Holthaus made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Langreck, carried. Meeting adjourned at 6:00 pm.
November 2017 Expenses
- Acentek-phone/internet charges 455.29
- Aflac-employee deduction 254.40
- Alliant Energy-elect utilities 5143.93
- Allied Systems-equip.maint. 34898.68
- Automatic Systems Co.-repair 728.75
- Bacon Concrete-construction project 11464.36
- Baker & Taylor-library books 383.29
- Becker Hardware-repair & supplies 144.52
- Black Hills Energy-gas utilities 377.80
- Brian Zweibohmer-phone&mtg reimb 55.00
- Bruening Rock Products-rock 144.63
- Bushman Insurance-insurance 113.00
- Cardmember Service-library supplies 287.51
- Casey’s-vehicle operations 206.24
- Chuck’s Service-vehicle maint. 820.95
- City Laundering-services&supplies 197.18
- Data Technologies-software services 1500.75
- Demco-library supplies 130.50
- Don Dilaura-phone&mtgs reimb 228.82
- Dorsey & Whitney-legal services 5065.75
- Family Support Pymt Ctr-pymt service 1423.00
- Farmers Union Coop-supplies 380.30
- Fayette Publishing-publication fee 107.30
- Fluence-equip repair 1269.80
- Hawkins-operating supplies 15.00
- IMWCA-workcomp insurance 80.00
- IRWA-member dues 225.00
- IPERS-November Ipers 2145.59
- Jude Zweibohmer-reimb 17.40
- Junior Library Guild-library books 445.20
- Keystone Lab-lab fees 188.50
- Kyle Meyer-services 270.00
- Lacrosse Sign Co-repair 265.05
- Luana Savings Bank-h.s.a.pymt, fees 460.00
- Luana Savings Bank-interest pymt 6655.88
- Malcom Enterprises-garbage service 4867.23
- Marvin Meyer-mtg reimb 47.18
- MidAmerica Books-library books 170.50
- Midwest Tape-videos 96.52
- Mr. Computers-tech services 40.00
- Municipal Pipe Tool-maint services 1801.80
- Ossian Lumber Co.-supplies 549.10
- Ossian Post Office-postage 387.12
- Ossian Library-petty cash 71.63
- Postville Vet Clinic-ups charges 99.00
- Randall Timp-reimb 106.09
- Reilly Const.-maint. Services 2050.00
- Reminisce Extra-subscription 14.98
- Riley’s-library supplies 30.00
- Rite Price Office-supplies 127.03
- IRS-Nov Federal deposit 3695.08
- Trusted Media Brands-library books 32.98
- Utility Equip Co.-maint. Supplies 491.72
- Wellmark-insurance premium 2772.11
- November 2017 payroll 7703.03
November 2017 Expenses by Fund
- General 23021.05
- Road Use 2443.57
- Employee Benefits 978.24
- Debt Service 6655.88
- Capitol Projects 16530.11
- Water 7828.71
- Sewer 44244.91
November 2017 Receipts
- General 29081.45
- Road Use Tax 9760.13
- Employee Benefits 3124.35
- Emergency 506.42
- Local Option Tax 11652.47
- Debt Service 2747.24
- Water 11686.45
- Sewer 14052.99