Posted: August 7, 2017
Present: Holthaus, Beckman, Lienau, Langreck.
Zak Kriener from the Ossian Bee was present during the meeting. Don Witt was present during most of the meeting.
Following the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, Mayor Green called the meeting to order at 5:00 pm.
Complaints received regarding a property whose lawn was in violation of the City’s Code of Ordinances led to the Council directing the clerk to send a letter to the property owner requesting the lawn be mowed.
Officer Ward gave the police report noting; no incidents were reported during RAGBRAI, Ossian Fest parade route was accepted by the IDOT, in general a routine month.
Mayor Green reported on the following: the church on the property the City recently purchased has been removed; commended those involved with RAGBRAI for their hard work, the street project is progressing well and noted the flashing signs for school crossings still need to be put into service.
Holthaus made a motion approving the following consent items: July 3, 2017 council minutes, clerk’s reports and the monthly bills, seconded by Beckman, carried, one absent.
Beckman made a motion to approve Contract Change Order #2 concerning Division 3 expenses in the amount of $9,355.36 for the Jessie-Brooks-West Street Project, seconded by Holthaus, carried, one absent.
Beckman made a motion authorizing Payment #4 in the amount of $378,118.62 to Croell Inc. for the Jessie-Brooks-West Street Project, seconded by Lienau, carried, one absent.
Bill Nelson, the engineer working with the Military Trails Estate subdivision requested clarification from the Council as to how the additional water main and street intersection at West Brooks Street and Jessie Street will be constructed and paid for. The Mayor and Council referenced the design prepared by the city’s engineer, IIW Engineer, with the intention that the City: pay for and construct the intersection to a point where the subdivision can connect to it, the intersection will be constructed using concrete, the water main will be extended to a point convenient for connection, and further details necessary to determine when and who does the construction will be worked out as the project develops.
The clerk reported letters were sent in July regarding nuisance/ordinance violators.
Beckman made a motion approving Joe Kriener’s request for a twelve month extension on the building permit previously approved on August 1, 2016, seconded by Holthaus, carried, one absent.
Holthaus reported there has been some interest in the community to allow golf carts and utility vehicles on city streets.
Ordinances from other area cities allowing this type of vehicle on city streets were presented to the Mayor and Council to review. Following discussion, the council decided to take some time to further research rules and regulations concerning golf carts and utility vehicles and their use on city streets.
Due to the Labor Day holiday, the September regular council meeting will be held Wednesday September 6, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
Beckman made a motion introducing Resolution #595, a resolution approving the FY17 Street Finance Report, seconded by Langreck.
Whereupon the Mayor put the question on the motion and the following named Council Members voted:
Ayes: Holthaus, Langreck, Lienau, Beckman.
Nays: None; Absent: Meyer.
Whereupon the Mayor declared said motion approved.
The city clerk presented the FY17 Annual Financial Report to the Mayor and Council for Review.
A general discussion led to the conclusion that an old tar patching machine and water wagon be sold at a local auction.
Mayor Green indicated he would get the equipment to the auction.
Holthaus made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Lienau, carried, one absent. Meeting adjourned at 6:40 pm.
July 2017 Expenses
- Acentek-phone/internet charges 491.68
- Advanced Environmental-services 9888.00
- Aflac-employee deduction 254.40
- Alliant Energy-elect utilities 7112.35
- Automatic Systems-repair 821.50
- Bacon Concrete-construction project 56984.35
- Baker & Taylor-library books 523.31
- Becker Hardware-suppl. & repair 266.68
- Black Hills Energy-gas utilities 166.88
- Brian Zweibohmer-phone/mtg reimb 67.00
- Casey’s-vehicle operations 559.31
- City Laundering-services&supplies 98.59
- Croell Inc-construction project 334358.02
- Don Dilaura-phone& reimb 255.62
- Family Support Pymt Ctr-pymt service 1423.00
- Fareway Store-RAGBRAI expense 3488.35
- Farmers Union Coop-supplies 87.60
- Fayette Publishing-publication fee 194.15
- Girls Life-subscription 19.95
- Hawkins-operating supplies 15.00
- Helping Services-program contribution 200.00
- IAMU-service fees 344.41
- IIW Engineers-engineering fees 25407.50
- IPERS-July Ipers 2217.48
- Joe Helgeson-RAGBRAI expense 200.00
- John Deer Financial-supplies 63.06
- Jude Zweibohmer-library supplies 12.18
- Keystone Lab-lab fees 265.50
- Kyle Meyer-services 540.00
- L&B Electric-repair 1061.99
- Landmark Turf Services-services 637.20
- Chris Lauer-tree services 6280.00
- Luana Savings Bank-h.s.a.pymt & fees 460.00
- Malcom Enterprises-garbage service 4942.98
- Michelle Lynn-RAGBRAI expense 125.00
- Mid America Publishing-publishing 38.40
- Midwest Metal Fabricating-repair 25794.00
- Midwest Tape-library videos 9.82
- Mike Klimesh-RAGBRAI expense 200.00
- Mike Mcabee-RAGBRAI expense 100.00
- Moss Roffing-repair 1035.00
- NEIA Housing Trust-program contribut. 1000.00
- NEIA Comm. Action-program contribut 633.75
- Ossian Lumber Co.-bldg supplies 591.43
- Ossian Post Office-postage 191.80
- Ossian Hospice-RAGBRAI expense 2884.56
- Overdrive-library subscription 350.62
- Philip French-construction services 4500.00
- Postville Vet Clinic-ups charges 56.00
- Randy Bohr-construction services 7750.00
- Real Simple-subscription 20.00
- Reilly Const-services 500.00
- Rite Price Supply-supplies 158.82
- Sims TV&Elect.-supplies 9.99
- Smart Apple Media-library books 130.70
- South Winn Rec.-program contribution 5000.00
- State Bank-RAGBRAI start cash 3300.00
- IRS-July Federal deposit 3788.39
- State Library of IA-subscript fees 134.93
- Tom&Betsy Kirby-RAGBRAI expense 100.00
- Travis Granberg-RAGBRAI expense 100.00
- Treas State of Iowa-2nd qtr s/tax 2183.00
- USA Blue Book-supplies 79.83
- Utility Equip Co-repair supplies 613.70
- Wellmark-insurance premium 2772.11
- Wiltgen Construction-maint supplies 497.66
- Winn Co Development-annual fee 1912.00
- Winn Co Engineer-maint supplies 34.14
- Zarnoth Brush Works-maint supplies 92.00
- Ziegler Inc-repair 326.16
- July 2017 payroll 8098.18
July 2017 Expenses by Fund
- General 68666.60
- Road Use 2833.28
- Employee Benefits 978.24
- Capitol Projects 416628.87
- Water 36879.80
- Sewer 8833.24
July 2017 Receipts
- General 36561.08
- Road Use Tax 10947.63
- Employee Benefits 213.05
- Emergency 36.49
- Local Option Tax 29319.48
- Capitol Projects 360969.00
- Debt Service 210.26
- Water 9825.36
- Sewer 38014.85