Posted: August 6, 2018
Present: Beckman, Holthaus, Lienau, Langreck.
Don Dilaura, Mike Meyer, Karl Schroeder and Zak Kriener from the Ossian Bee were present during the meeting.
Following the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, Mayor Green called the meeting to order at 5:00 pm.
No police report was submitted
Bill Nelson, the engineer for the Military Trail Estates subdivision, went over various project items with the Council noting; trench compaction complies with DNR regulations; where necessary granular back fill will be used; a hydrant at the corner of Jessie & Brooks Street along with some water main will be relocated using washed stone in the trench; both storm sewer and sanitary sewer will be bedded and covered with washed stone; 4” drainage tile will be installed under the street where necessary with an estimated cost of $10-$15/foot. Nelson also submitted payment request #1 for the City’s share of the work that has been done.
Rachael Orvis spoke to the Council with concerns regarding their decision to discontinue fluoridation to the city’s water supply. Mayor Green explained to Orvis the reason for discontinuing fluoridation was due to the damage it causes to the equipment in water treatment plant. The possibility of finding a way to inject the fluoride into the system so as not to damage the filter equipment was also discussed.
Mayor Green commended those involved for all of their hard work in putting together a successful Ossian Fest. Green noted the new sewer interceptor seems to be doing what it was intended and a ditch along Jessie Street could use additional seeding.
Beckman made a motion approving the following consent items: July 2, 2018 council minutes, clerk’s reports and the monthly bills, seconded by Holthaus, carried, one absent.
Beckman made a motion authorizing Payment #1 in the amount of $9,921.00 to M.B. Construction, for the City’s share of infrastructure costs for the Military Trail Estates-2018 Infrastructure Improvements, seconded by Langreck, carried, one absent.
The Council authorized the city clerk to purchase a wall-mounted coat rack to replace the free standing one in the community center meeting room, order public restroom signs to hang outside the building, check on letter options for the building’s exterior and to remind anyone using the meeting room that nothing is allowed to be attached temporally or permanently to the walls, ceiling, doors, etc.
Lienau made a motion to purchase “smartboard” to replace the existing siding on the community center building, seconded by Langreck, carried, one absent.
Beckman made a motion introducing Resolution #610, a resolution approving the FY18 Street Finance Report, seconded by Lienau.
Whereupon the Mayor put the question on the motion and the following named Council Members voted:
Ayes: Holthaus, Langreck, Lienau, Beckman.
Nays: None. Absent: Knutson.
Whereupon the Mayor declared said motion approve.
The city clerk presented the FY18 Annual Financial Report to the Mayor and Council for review.
Holthaus made a motion approving Two Trees Pizza application for a beer permit, seconded by Beckman, carried, one absent.
Mayor Green explained sidewalk changes the owners of Two Trees Pizza would like to make to allow for handicapped accessibility into their business. The Council gave their support to the planned changes.
The Council discussed options concerning a nuisance property. The city attorney will be contacted to send a letter to the property owner regarding the matter.
The Council set September 28th & 29th as the dates for City Wide Clean-Up Event. Further information regarding the event will be available at a later date.
Due to Labor Day, the September regular council meeting will be held Wednesday September 5, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
Holthaus made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Lienau, carried, one absent. Meeting adjourned at 6:50 pm.
July 2018 Expenses
- Acentek-phone/internet charges 494.94
- Aflac-employee deduction 254.40
- Alliant Energy-elect utilities 7106.11
- Allied Systems-repair 126.61
- Automatic Systems-equip.maint 666.25
- Badger Meter-service fee 63.60
- Baker & Taylor-library books 216.94
- Becker Hardware-repair & supplies 509.86
- Black Hills Energy-gas utilities 163.39
- Brian Zweibohmer-phone reimb 50.00
- Casey’s-vehicle operations 499.98
- Center Point Large Print-library books 21.00
- City Laundering-services&supplies 222.40
- Demco-library supplies 103.02
- DNR-permit fee 102.79
- Don Dilaura-phone reimb 50.00
- Family Support Pymt Ctr-pymt service 1423.00
- Farmers Union Coop-supplies 65.50
- Fayette Publishing-publication fee 104.76
- Hawkins-operating supplies 15.00
- Helping Serivices-program contribution 200.00
- IAMU-dues/meeting fees 375.20
- IPERS-July Ipers 2182.91
- Jake Halweg-refund 3.64
- Keystone Lab-lab fees 251.50
- Kyle Meyer-mowing services 700.00
- Luana Savings Bank-h.s.a.pymt & fees 470.00
- Malcom Enterprises-garbage service 5021.23
- Marvin Meyer-mtg reimb 47.46
- Midwest Tajpe-library videos 18.98
- NEIA Housing Trust-program contribution 1000.00
- NEIA Comm. Action-program contribution 633.75
- Ossian Post Office-postage 196.65
- Ossian Library-petty cash 89.74
- Overdrive-subscription 349.85
- Postville Vet Clinic-ups charges 95.00
- Riley’s-library supplies 540.00
- Rite Price Office-supplies 92.87
- SW Recreation Dept-program contribution 5000.00
- IRS-July Federal deposit 3308.91
- State Library of Iowa-subscription fees 135.70
- Treas State of Iowa-2nd qtr sales tax 2309.00
- Utility Equip Co-supplies 81.85
- Wellmark-insurance premium 3268.46
- Winn Co. Development-program 1267.00 contrib
- July 2018 payroll 7354.50
July 2018 Expenses by Fund
- General 27061.56
- Road Use 1990.45
- Employee Benefits 1118.17
- Library Trust 510.00
- Water 8175.04
- Sewer 8398.53
July 2018 Receipts
- General 23424.09
- Road Use Tax 8058.58
- Employee Benefits 301.64
- Emergency 48.92
- Local Option Sales Tax 8959.04
- Debt Service 365.23
- Water 13042.81
- Sewer 11863.73